Wednesday, April 23, 2014

OAT BOY!: Breakfast Bars

I am remiss. 
After my first ecstatic wave of blogging I hit the big wall.
Time, money, and my horrible oven got me blue. I guess. 
I realize thats the very crux of this blog.dealing with all this, and trying to make it work. Trying to find thing that makes everyone happy and still make us healthy.

PART TWO of this confession is that, apparently, I went on a banana binge. 
I looked on my counter and there were 6 over ripe bananas.
I looked in my fridge and there were 4 over ripe bananas.
So I decided to get back on the horse and figure things out. Get through it. Look my oven in the eye and beg it to cooperate. Deal with what I've been dealt.
.....Use those bananas
                       

This is recipe #1 of the great banana binge of 2014.

OAT BOY! : Breakfast Bars

  • 2 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup un sweetened coconut flakes
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1/4 chopped dates
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup (you could use brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup real maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup greek yoghurt
  • 1/8 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 2 very ripe medium bananas, mashed (about 3/4 cup)

  1. 1
    Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a 8-inch square baking pan. **Use something larger for thinner crispier bars!
  2. 2
    In a large bowl, stir together oats, coconut, nuts, apricots/dates, and salt.
  3. 3
    In a medium bowl, mix together mashed bananas, syrups, and melted oil until combined.
  4. 4
    Add banana mixture to oats and stir until evenly incorporated. Spread mixture into prepared baking dish.
  5. 5
    Bake until bars are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool, then cut into squares.
  6. NOTES: I personally think these are divine, however too thick. I will try again and use a wider pan to make them more....crunchy.I also think these could be just as good with less sweet stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment