Sunday, April 27, 2014

COMPROMISE: Sunday CornBread Muffins

Death to the grocery store bakery made corn muffins my kids used to live on. That is my quest. That is my vow. 

I used to lean on those heavily when my kids were young. For some reason they seemed healthier than the BANANA NUT or the supposed BLUEBERRY. All those glorious containers waiting for you in the bakery section screaming "Your Kids will LOVE US!"...." You dont have to COOK anything!!!"

Of course, I ignored the label and concentrated on the fact they had a whole grain in them, and were there waiting to be lovingly eaten without complaint.

Those days are gone and yesterday I said NO to the PICKY ONE when she requested I buy her old favorite. The old stand by. The gorgeous plastic encased sparkly grocery store mini corn muffin. I didn't even look at the label, I didn't even consider it. Knowing what i know now, those things probably have as much sugar as an oreo....and probably just a trace of corn flour.....The PICKY ONE didn't seem terribly surprised.

Boo Hoo. Goodbye old friend.

So i just adapted the recipe on the back of my cornmeal bag. Old fashioned and probably the best resource. These came out beautifully, But i should warn you not in any way as sweet or oily as the grocery store's. They are moist and nicely brown on the edges, But i fear the kids will just say...THEY TASTE LIKE CORN BREAD!?!?!

Now,this whole thing confirms my suspicions entirely,those other muffins are FULL of crap. I feel like I added plenty of sweetness. sigh. 

Sugar is not our friend.

I order to appease the younger set, I will continue to try and incorporate sweetness without dumping in cups of white sugar...but for now these are gorgeous serious corn muffins that might beg for a nice tsp of natural jam?



two different pans gave me tow different muffin looks. weird.

COMPROMISE: Sunday Corn Bread Muffins

1 3/4 cups Corn Meal of your choice (i like the coarse yellow version)
3/4 cup GF Flour of choice ( i used oat and all purpose mixed)
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup Brown Rice syrup or Agave
1 packet stevia
6 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted at room temp
2 cups milk of your choice (i mixed 2% and almond unsweetened vanilla)

Mix together as little as possible until fully incorporated. Coconut oil is tenacious and hates to mix in. Put in muffin cups.

Bake at 450 for approx. 14 miuntes. Check with a toothpick for doneness!

No comments:

Post a Comment