Friday, March 21, 2014

JUST NO: Vegan Cheese review

Ok. We gave the vegan cheese a try. Not once but twice. 

My 14 year old was gamely trying to be vegan...so this seemed like the first stop after vegetable and beans and fake meats.


So it goes...2 horrible terrible meals of vegan cheese nonsense. It strikes me as the processed food monster masquerading as something 'healthy'. 

We REALLY tried to drink the Koolaid on this one. 

But see... It tastes like something slightly fruity (not in a good way) with a healthy dose of sock stink. Like the worst truck stop nacho cheese food you've ever considered eating in a boozy 21 year old haze ....
Not ok.
                         The  Monster.

Here's a picture of an entire Mac an' Cheez (I am exceedingly annoyed by the over use of this new word in vegan circles)casserole we slaved over, and then trashed. This from a vegan cookbook that regularly get 5 stars in reviews.

Truly horrible. Throwing food away makes me livid. The smell of it in the trash the next morning made my stomach turn. Even my "I'll eat anything" partner couldn't down it.

Needless to say THE PICKY ONE didn't even look at it.

And can we talk about the waste of money? Ugh. I went for the 'Cadillac' of vegan cheese, Daiya cheddar.

Sorry to those if you who adore this unnaturally orange nightmare, it's just not for us....not does it seem particularly healthy.

This is why I started this blog...there are alot of beautifully photographed, professionally blogged recipes out there that just stink. 

and This my friends...makes me angry.

Back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment