Sunday, March 30, 2014

ODDBALL: Savory Vegetarian Protein Scone

Several things happened this morning. Still being sick for the better part of the month, I was longing for something tasty and BAD on yet another rainy morning.

Also, there was food going to waste in my fridge, which you know makes me very blue.

After trying and hating the Vegan turkey and cheese products (the word 'products' makes it seem really unhealthy and processed, no?) I just COULD NOT let them go to waste in my fridge. However, There was no way anyone was going to eat them if they weren't heavily disguised.

Then another thing happened. I went hunting for scone recipes. It seemed like something i could easily make from what i had on hand.

Then BAM! It came to me...I decided to come up with a savory scone which was high in protein. 

Here are the weird, but surprisingly tasty results. I'm not saying they are PERFECT, but they don't suck either. 

ODDBALL: Savory Vegetarian Protein Scone 

  • 3/4 cup almond flour 
  • 1/2 cup Quinoa Flakes (or oat flour )
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup  protein powder
  • 3 eggs (2 whites, 1 whole)
  • 1/4 vegetarian protein chopped (i used tofurkey slices)
  • 1/2 vegetarian cheddar cheese shreds
  • 1/8 tsp cumin
  • 1/8 tsp mexican seasoning
  • 1 pinch onion & garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp olive or coconut oil to saute
Preheat oven to 350*F.
In a small saute pan combine protein and spices. Saute till they get brown and crispy. Let cool.
 In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients + protein.
 Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients GENTLY. Be careful not to overmix. Stir in cheese till evenly mixed.
Transfer the dough to a greased cookie sheet  or parchment and gently form into flat mound. Cut mound into triangle scone shapes. 
Leave a space between scones (~1 cm). 
Bake at 350*F for 12-15 min.
*Makes 5 small scones or 3 medium scones. 

-I'd like to get them to rise more, But i think i overmixed for starters. 

-I think they could have more of the turkey as well. I used the vegan turkey and the vegan veggie shreds...but obviously REAL cheese would be even better!!!

I will keep trying on this one, but thought it worth posting as is for the moment.




No comments:

Post a Comment